The Gunn Report, which tots up the winners in the worldwide ad awards industry, has produced its summary for 2013 and here are some of the highlights.
The big winner in most-awarded commercials is McCann Melbourne’s ‘Dumb Ways To Die’ which won in loads of categories, including the Cannes Film Grand Prix. This is probably the most over-awarded ad of all time (as memory serves, it also won a Cannes Radio Grand Prix for the soundtrack) but it was still brilliant.
The Gunn Report tells us that it’s their highest scorer ever – so here goes:
What else have we got? the other top-scoring ads were:
2. Southern Comfort • Whatever’s Comfortable – Beach (Wieden+Kennedy, New York)
3. Carlton Draught • Beer Chase (Clemenger BBDO (Melbourne)
4= Axe • Susan Glenn (BBH, New York)
4= Leica M Monochrom Camera • Soul (F/Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi, São Paulo) This is a great ad from a great agency.
1. Expedia Travel • Luggage Labels campaign (Ogilvy & Mather, London)
2. Harvey Nichols Sale • Pelicans (Y&R Dubai)
3= Coca-Cola • #Cokehands (Ogilvy & Mather, Shanghai)
3= Metro Trains • Dumb Ways to Die (McCann Melbourne)
3= The Sunday Times Rich List • Rich List 2013 pool (CHI & Partners, London)
1. Metro Trains • Dumb Ways to Die (McCann Melbourne)
2. Nike+ Fuelband • Nike+ Fuelband (R/GA, New York)
3. Adidas Neo • Window Shopping (TBWA\Helsinki)
4= Google / Lego • Build With Chrome (M&C Saatchi/Mark, Sydney)
4= The JFK Presidential Library & Museum • Clouds Over Cuba (The Martin Agency, Richmond VA)
All Gunns Blazing (newbie, cross-category stuff)
1. Hemoba/Vitoria FC • My Blood is Red and Black (Leo Burnett Tailor Made, São Paulo) – the most awarded campaign ever in All Gunns Blazing. (Don’t you think we’re a wee bit too excited about football?)
2. Metro Trains • Dumb Ways to Die (McCann Melbourne)
3. Nike+ Fuelband • Nike+ Fuelband (R/GA, New York)
4. Sports Clube de Recife • Immortal Fans (Ogilvy Brasil, São Paulo)
5. Samsung Life Insurance • The Bridge of Life (Cheil Worldwide, Seoul)
Most Awarded Countries
2. Australia – breaks the 1 – 2 stranglehold that USA and UK have had for last 14 years.
Most Awarded Advertisers
Either Nike or Volkswagen has topped the table every one of The Gunn Report’s 15 years. This year it was Nike’s turn.
3. Axe / Lynx
Most Awarded Production Companies
First time at the top of the Table for Biscuit Filmworks (London, New York, LA)
2. Paranoid (Los Angeles, São Paulo)
3. MJZ (London, LA, New York)
4. Rattling Stick (London, Los Angeles)
5. Henry de Czar (Paris)
Most Awarded Agency
A first time tie for first place – Wieden+Kennedy (Portland, New York) (who topped the table last year) and McCann (Melbourne) (first time in Top 50 table)
3. AlmapBBDO (São Paulo)
4. Ogilvy Brasil (São Paulo) (highest ever ranking)
5= BBH (London)
5= Clemenger BBDO (Melbourne & Sydney) (highest ever ranking)
Most Awarded Agency Network
2. Ogilvy (must try harder chaps)
4. Leo Burnett
5. McCann (highest ever ranking)
And there’s lots of other interesting stuff besides.
You can find the full report here.